Saturday, June 20, 2009

dum spiro spero

as long as I'm breathing, I'm hoping.

When I woke up in the morning I decided to stay in bed watching TV. I'm alone anyways and I have nothing to do. Well that's a lie - I have a bunch of things to do but not the will to do them. I was zapping through the program and stopped on a BBC documentation about a guy with ALS who was going to China for a surgery that is not accepted in western countries because there is no proof if it helps or not.

Almost without doubt I would have done the surgery too if it helped me to get back my smell. Anyways, ALS is a disease that's destroying the nerves in brain and spinal cord. They were explaining that there is no way these nerves will regenerate again. Once destroyed there is no chance anymore.

But then they were explaining that scientists in London discovered that there is indeed one type of cell that can multiply and recover itself: smelling nerves. I was very surprised when they explained why it's like that. Smelling nerves are the only nerves that have contact with the "environment", with damaging substances (e.g. dirty air etc). So they're quite resistant.

I believe in what they said there. Maybe my smell won't return in the next weeks or months but I believe that it will return one day. As long as I can still differ smells and tastes, as long as I can still feel something, I believe that I'll recover. Somehow. Somewhen.

0 comments: